My friend Jo-Lynne loves my Shaved Parmesan Chicken & Lemon Creme recipe. She has linked to it several times, both on her blog and on Twitter. As I can use the traffic I thought I’d share another recipe with Jo-Lynne in mind. I think you’ll like this one just as much JL!
Chicken with Spinach & Mushroom Sauce
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2-3 tbsp olive oil
½ stick of butter
½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 minced shallot
½ juice of a fresh lemon
2-3 tbsp flour
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup white wine + a few splashes
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried basil
Dash cayenne pepper
Fresh baby spinach
1. Heat the olive oil in an oven-ready skillet over medium heat. Season chicken breasts with house seasoning and brown on each side for 5-6 minutes, or until nicely golden.
2. Place the skillet into a 350º oven and bake the chicken breasts for 20 minutes.
3. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter and saute’ ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms till tender. Add the shallot and lemon to the saucepan, stirring to combine. Sprinkle in the flour to make a roux. Slowly whisk in the half-and-half, whisking to remove any lumps. Whisk in the white wine to create a smooth, mushroom sauce. Add half a cup of your favorite cheese. I like Parmesan, Fontina or Asiago with this. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of chicken stock till it’s a smooth and creamy consistence. Add the dried basil and cayenne. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
4. Place the baby spinach in the bottom of a casserole dish. I buy a “bag” of baby spinach and I use the whole thing, as the spinach will shrink considerably during cooking. Place the chicken breasts on top of the spinach.
5. Deglaze the skillet a few splashes of white wine, then add all the jus to the mushroom sauce, scraping the skillet for the yummy bits.
6. Whisk the mushroom sauce to combine the jus, the pour the sauce over top of the chicken in the casserole.
7. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes.