I love grilled sandwiches. I really should put a panini press on my wish list because I could eat grilled sandwiches every night of the week. Anything is better with melted cheese, right? I especially love the flavor and texture contrasts of this delicious sandwich. Sweet, tangy, savory, salty, cold & hot = yum!
Classic Tuna Melts
1/4 cup of good mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmann’s®)
1/4 cup of sweet or Bermuda onion, minced
1/4 cup of sweet pickle relish, or minced sweet pickles
1 tsp of spicy brown mustard (I like Gulden’s)
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 dash of cayenne pepper
2 pinches of dried dill or dried basil
Handful chopped parsley
2 six oz pouches of tuna in water, drained
Loaf of French bread
Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. Set the butter out to soften.
2. Preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium to medium-low heat.
3. Mix the first 9 ingredients in a bowl, blending them together well. Add the drained tuna and mix till well combined.
4. Slice the French bread into approximately 1″ thick slices and butter one side generously with softened butter.
5. Place the half of the slices into the skillet, buttered side down and top with a generous handful of grated, sharp cheddar and 2-3 generous heaping spoons of the tuna salad. Top with the other slice of bread.
6. After one minute turn the sandwich. The bread should be toasty, golden brown. If the bread is scorched, turn the heat down. Grill for another minute, placing a lid on the skillet if the cheese does not begin to melt.
Serve with chips & kosher dills.