Totally made this up to use lentils, which I grabbed on sale. The older I get the more frugal I become. That’s a nice way of saying I’m cheap.
To me, lentils taste like a cross between peas and beans and they’re delicious in soups. This is a bright and satisfying vegetarian side dish with flavors so fresh and lively you might want to give up being a carnivore.
LENTIL SALAD WITH CREAMY LEMON VINAIGRETTE
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, peeled and diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 cilantro bunch, roughly chopped
CREAMY LEMON VINAIGRETTE
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground mustard or dijon
1/4 cup sour cream
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, reduce to medium low and add dried lentils. Simmer for approx. 15 minutes or just until tender. They should be slightly firm, not mushy.
2. Drain the lentils and allow them to cool.
3. Chop/dice the vegetables and place them into medium-sized a mixing bowl.
4. Place all ingredients for the vinaigrette into a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
5. Pour half the vinaigrette over the chopped vegetables and toss to coat well.
6. Add the cooled lentils to the bowl with the vegetables and toss. Add more vinaigrette to taste and toss well. Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
7. Chill for 2 hours or overnight.