Savory Stewed Chicken & Rice
1 whole chicken-cut up
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups celery, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
1 yellow onion , diced
House seasoning to taste
Tomato paste -or- tomato sauce
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp red wine -or- rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
• Cut up one whole chicken into standard portions and remove skin. Pat pieces dry with paper towel and season generously with house seasoning.
• Heat a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add a dab of olive oil to the pot and brown the chicken pieces, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
• Add another dab of olive oil to the pot along with celery, carrots and onions. Season with house seasoning, and sauté till translucent, about 10 minutes.
• Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan.
• Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste -or- about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, chicken stock, red wine vinegar and honey. Stir to combine with the sautéed vegetables and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
• Return chicken pieces to the pot, cover and simmer on very low heat -or- move to a 300º oven for 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
• For serving, remove the chicken pieces from the pot and using a fork remove the chicken from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot and combine with the sauce. Serve over rice.
Note: I prefer a cast iron dutch oven, such as a Le Creuset
, for recipes like this. You can also transfer the ingredients to a slow-cooker.
Note: House seasoning is equal parts kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.