I love shopping from my pantry & fridge. The latter half of the month is when I make the most of our food dollar by creating meals from what I have on-hand rather than running to the grocery store.
This is one of my ‘from the pantry’ soups and it’s absolutely bursting with flavor. Hubby ate 3 bowls.
Not Your Mom’s Chicken Soup
2 chicken breasts, cut in half
2 cups carrots, shredded
1 small onion, minced
3 stalks celery, minced
6 cups chicken stock*
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried dill
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 lemon slices
4 tbsp butter
2 cups Amish Noodles or egg noodles
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season well with house seasoning.
3. Place chicken in the pot and brown approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from the pot and set aside.
4. Add a bit more olive oil to the pot along with carrots, onion and celery. Saute’ till caramelized & tender, about 10-15 minutes.
5. Add chicken stock to pot and scrape the bottom of the bot to release the yummy, browned bits of chickeny goodness.
7. Return chicken to the pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and shred with a fork. Return to pot and add noodles. Simmer for 10-12 more minutes or until noodles are tender.
Tip! When I can’t make my own, I use Knorr® Homestyle Stock.
Tip! Our House Seasoning is a mixture of equal parts kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.