I wanted to make us a dinner at home, but had very little time and I wanted something flavorful and comforting. My beloved cousin Jill came to the rescue with her super easy, super quick, super delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup. Now, her recipes are a bit cryptic…they’re in Jill-Speak. I’ll translate for you here.
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
4-5 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (for a quicker alternative, try a rotisserie chicken from the store)
1 yellow onion, diced
Fresh garlic, minced
1-2 cans diced green chiles
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained (I use diced tomatoes with garlic & onion
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
2 cartons chicken stock
1 can sweet corn
1/2 tsp sugar
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Lime wedges and minced cilantro for garnish
1. Season the chicken breasts generously with House Seasoning
and brown them over medium heat in a large pot about 5 minutes per side, or until golden. Place in a casserole dish and roast for 20 minutes in a 350º oven.
2. Add a dab more olive oil to the large pot and saute’ the onion. The pot should have nice, browned chickeny bits in the bottom. Duh! Flavor! Add the garlic and saute’ about 30 seconds more.
3. Add green chiles, diced tomatoes, sweet corn, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Reduce heat and let those flavors combine for 5 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock, stir and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove chicken breasts from oven and shred with a fork. Pour any chicken ju from the casserole into the pot. Add shredded chicken and stir. Taste for seasoning and add the 1/2 tsp sugar.
6. Serve over broken tortilla chips or strips and top with Monterey Jack or Queso Fresco cheese. Toss on a dollop of sour cream and a sprig or two of cilantro and a lime wedge if yer’ feelin’ fancy.