Love, love, LOVE fresh garden produce of which tomatoes are king. I usually can our abundance of tomatoes, but I enjoy a change of pace as well.
Thus my own Sweet & Spicy Tomato Jam. Can it or refrigerate it, either way you’ll love it on sandwiches.
This one will have your family asking for more.
JULES’ SWEET & SPICY TOMATO JAM
8 medium tomatoes, blanched, peeled & diced
1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup sugar
½ cup fruit spread (strawberry or apricot work well)
2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 medium Jalapeño, seeded and minced
Freshly ground black paper
1. Place all of the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered until mixture reduces by about two-thirds.
CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICHES
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp Kosher salt
2 tsp Black pepper
1 tbsp Granulated garlic
1 dash Cayenne pepper
Sharp cheddar cheese
Crusty sandwich rolls
1. Place a single skinless, boneless chicken breast into a large plastic freezer bag. Flatten the breast evenly to about ½ inch using a meat mallet. Remove from bag and cut across into two equally sized pieces. Repeat with remaining breasts.
2. In shallow bowl combine Panko, Kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and Cayenne. Measurements are approximate. Adjust to suit your taste.
3. Preheat a skillet over medium to medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes. Add approximately ½ cup of oil and allow it to come up to heat, approximately 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle a few bread crumbs into the oil and if it sizzles and becomes golden the oil is ready.
4. Pat the chicken breast pieces dry with a paper towel then press them firmly into the Panko bread crumb mixture. Coat the breast pieces well on both sides. Allow to rest on a plate for approximately 10 minutes prior to frying.
5. Gently place a coated breast piece into the hot oil. It should not be submerged. Fry approximately 3-4 minutes on each side, or until crust is nicely golden brown.
6. When done, gently remove from skillet and place on paper towels. Serve on crusty sandwich rolls (regular white hamburger buns are too soft) with sharp cheddar cheese, lettuce and Sweet & Spicy Tomato Jam.