This is a repost of my most requested recipe, made popular by my friend Jo-Lynne Shane and her much-read blog, Musings of a Housewife.
Thursday evening I had the pleasure of cooking for two of my dearest friends; Billie and Janette. Both of them know how I love to cook and so they took advantage of me by having me slave over a hot stove just for them.
I made a yummy roasted artichoke, red pepper salad with basil vinaigrette and Parmesan chicken with lemon creme sauce with mushrooms. I thought I’d share the chicken recipe with you. Let me know if you want the salad recipe and I’ll post it next week.
p.s. There was a lot of slurping at the dinner table on Thursday night, but, I’m not naming any names.
Shaved Parmesan Chicken & Lemon Creme
4-6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 eggs, beaten with a tbsp of water
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp capers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lemons, juiced
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups chicken stock
Salt & pepper
Chunk of Parmesan cheese (don’t use the dry, powdery stuff for this recipe)
2 tbsp Olive oil
6 tbsp Butter, divided
Preheat oven to 350º and preheat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil & butter.
1. Slice the mushrooms into thick slices and set aside.
2. With a meat mallet or canned good gently pound the chicken breasts flat and even, approximately 1/2″ thick. Season with salt & pepper on both sides.
3. Shave a generous amount of the Parmesan with a vegetable peeler into the bread crumbs and toss together. Save some Parmesan for the sauce.
4. Place 3 plates in a row. Flour on the first plate, beaten egg on the second plate and bread crumbs with shaved Parmesan on the third. Lightly dredge each chicken breast in each; flour first, egg second and bread crumb mixture last.
5. Gently place coated chicken breasts in preheated skillet with olive oil and butter. Brown 2-3 minutes on both sides. Remove from skillet and place into casserole dish. Then place in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Do not overcook or the chicken will be tough.
6. Add 2 more tbsp butter and mushrooms to skillet. Saute’ till mushrooms begin to brown. Add capers and garlic.
7. Deglaze the skillet with the chicken stock & lemon juice, scraping the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add 2 more tbsp butter and the heavy cream. Blend well and turn to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and will coat the back of a spoon. Before serving sprinkle in some shaved Parmesan and stir till it melts.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven and place on a large platter. Pour the creme sauce over top and serve family-style.
Your peoples will thank you.
Photo credit – Jo-Lynne Shane at Musings of a Housewife.