Similar to a meatball sub and absolutely full of flavor. Great for feeding a crowd. Perfect for the slow-cooker!
10 sweet Italian sausages
1 large sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 large red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
10 large hoagie rolls
2-4 cups shredded Mozzarella
• Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and the sweet Italian sausages, a few at a time, browning on both sides for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
• Add 2-3 more tablespoons of olive oil to the pan along with the sliced onions and peppers. Sauté until tender and slightly caramelized, about ten minutes.
• While the onions and peppers are cooking slice the Italian sausage in half lengthwise.
• When the onions and peppers are done, return the sliced sausages to the pan and stir to combine. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce, stir well and reduce the heat to low simmer. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes. You can also reduce the heat to low or move all of it into a slow-cooker on low. The longer it simmers the more the flavors come together.
• Serve on hoagie rolls topped with shredded Mozz. Napkins required 🙂