I rarely…more like never…cook this way. I use fresh ingredients, not powdered mixes. But I have to confess that this was absolutely delicious. Mouth-watering, velvety-tender. I know it sounds crazy, but this has flavor that will knock you out.
3-4 lb chuck roast (I highly recommend Aldi)
House seasoning (equal parts Kosher salt, black pepper & granulated garlic)
1 oz pkg regular Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
2 pkg McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
2 cups dill pickle juice (your favorite brand)
2 cups beef broth (I used Swanson)
1 cup baby dill gherkins (trust me)
• Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Season both sides of the chuck roast generously with house seasoning or the seasoning blend of your choice. Brown on both sides for 4-5 minutes.
• Place browned chuck roast into a large slow-cooker.
• Sprinkle the packets of ranch dressing mix and brown gravy mix over the roast.
• Pour the 2 cups of pickle juice and 2 cups of beef stock over all. The roast should be submerged.
• Add the baby dills, as much as you like.
• Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove the roast and pickles to a serving platter.
• Pour the stock from the slow-cooker into a sauce pan and thicken into a gravy with a corn starch slurry or a roux.
• Serve with mashed potatoes.